Telephone Services

Dialing instructions

All telephones at MSU Great Falls have a 771 or 268 prefix.

Important numbers:

  • Service desk: (406) 771-4433
  • Campus operator/directory assistance: on campus= 0; off campus = (406) 771-4300


  • Voice/TDD: (406) 406-771-4311
  • Off Campus Voice mail access: (406) 771-4343
  • Repair service: Submit a helpdesk ticket via the helpdesk or online
  • Work order request: Submit a helpdesk ticket via the helpdesk or online

To dial:

  • On campus : dial four digit number, (prefix not needed)
  • Locally : dial 8 + 7 digit phone number
  • Long Distance : dial 8 + 1 + 10 digit number (area code + 7 digit number)
  • Toll-free numbers : dial 8 + 1 + 800, 866, 877, 888 + 7 digits
    (900 numbers cannot be dialed from campus telephones.)
  • Emergency:  Dial 911

Note:  Phones located in classrooms can only dial 911 and other campus extensions unless you use a authorization code:  dial normally, then enter authorization code.

Note: There is no third number billing from campus.

Training and Manuals:

Click here for the callpilot training video

Click here for the callpilot user manual (PDF)

Use of The Montana State University - Great Falls telephone system

Montana State University - Great Falls provides telephone services to its faculty and staff for official University business.. Use of the University's telephone system must be in accordance with all policies governing the use of college facilities, the MSUGF Student Conduct Code, Montana University System policies, and state and federal law.

University employees may make limited use of University-provided telephones for essential personal business as long as such calls are not excessive and do not interfere with official University business. Examples of essential personal business include calls to family members (e.g., "latch-key" children), teachers, doctors, day-care centers, or babysitters to inform them of unexpected schedule changes.

In accordance with University and state policy, University employees who make personal long-distance calls MUST either call collect, or charge the call to a (non-University) third party telephone number, calling card or Pre-paid card. Employees may not make personal long-distance calls using State of Montana Telephone Network facilities, even if the University is subsequently reimbursed.